Securing user access rights not only prevents costly health data breaches, it delivers significant returns. According to several studies, applying an automated identity solution can drive IT and operational efficiencies, improve user productivity and satisfaction, and cut IT costs.
The Value of Identity Governance
Identity governance enables healthcare provider organizations to determine and control who has access to what IT resources, who should have access and how access is used. As part of the process, access rights are appropriately reviewed and scrubbed, thus creating the foundation for other identity-centric functions such as single sign-on, multi-factor authentication, and privileged access management. And by automating critical processes related to user access rights, identity governance can drive quantifiable value in various ways.
“Implementing SailPoint was a huge win for the organization. We have contract nurses and therapists who are constantly coming and going and need access to systems and information to do their jobs. It’s important for employees to have the proper access needed, in a safe and secure way.”
– James Landers, Identity Access Management Security Engineer, Integris Health
The Effects of Automated Identity Governance by the Numbers
Timely User Access
- The time required for access requests to be granted per user plummets 80% from an average of 60 min. to 12 min.
- Users wait on average more than 300 minutes throughout the year for help desk to correctly provision or change access. With automated identity, the wait drops to only 100 minutes.
- Password resets account for up to 50% of helpdesk service calls. Reduce the IT burden by cutting the number of such calls by 60%.
- Decrease average cost per password reset call from $30 down to $12.
Reduced Risk of Breach
- By reducing the threat surface, the risk of a data breach drops from 30% to only 5%.
- Mitigate financial risk and potentially save millions of dollars in remediation costs resulting from a data breach.
- Perform access entitlement reviews in only 1/3 the time compared to the industry average.
- Cut in half the time it takes managers to complete attestation.
- Save up to 83% on highly effective security.
- Cut as much as 72% of helpdesk identity administration costs.
- Spend up to 82% less for attestation and compliance.
“Automating our identity program has not only allowed us to prove our environment is compliant, but it has also improved the work environment of our physicians, nurses, and medical staff. They now have access to what they need in a timely fashion allowing them to focus on our biggest priority – patients.”
– Robert Siebenthaler, Manager, Identity Access & Security, PeaceHealth
What You Can Do with the Savings
- Onboard new applications.
- Upgrade legacy systems.
- Govern data files.
Adding Value with SailPoint
With 95% customer satisfaction, SailPoint’s cloud identity governance platform is:
- Predictive – Leverage artificial intelligence/machine learning to help multiply your efforts, without multiplying the cost.
- Flexible – Deploy identity governance in the cloud or on-premises to efficiently and affordably address the various financial and operational requirements of the healthcare provider organization.
- Automated – Reduce burden on IT by automating critical processes for governing user access rights to applications and data files.
Learn how SailPoint can help you drive returns while improving user experience and reducing security and compliance risk. Contact SailPoint to request a complimentary business value assessment specifically for your organization.
- Forrester Research Inc., Making The Business Case For Identity And Access Management, August 2, 2018
- Forrester Research Inc., Use Commercial IAM Solutions to Achieve More Than 100% ROI Over Manual Processes, December 4, 2014
- Information Security Group, Password Management: Getting Down to Business, June 22, 2017
You might also be interested in:
Find out how we help you create your ideal identity program.